Thursday 17 July 2014

DIY: Crochet a tyarn shopping bag

BushcraftZ 2014
My fingers have been itching for a long time to use tyarn in a project. This weekend I had a little time on my hands and designed this quick and easy crochet shopping bag. The pink tyarn is store bought it was combined with grey tyarn that I made myself from leftover t-shirt material cut into a long continuous strip.The bamboo handles come from my mother's stash which she discovered from a time macrame was in fashion I guess the early to mid '80s. AS a child I do remember her knotting quite a few macrame projects and she also taught me how to make a few basic knots. Perhaps I should try my hand at an updated macrame project in the near future.

Materials:
  • 2 x 500g/100m t-shirt yarn (tyarn)
  • 1 set of bamboo handles (15-18cm diameter)
  • 15mm crochet hook






Terminology:
st = stitch
ch = chain
ss = slip stitch
dc = double crochet ( US term: sc = single crochet)
tr = treble crochet (US term: dc = double crochet)

Pattern:
Create a magic circle, 6 dc into circle, close circle with a ss.
Round 1: ch2, 2tr into each st, close round with slst (12sts)
Round 2-5: ch2, *1tr into first st, 2tr into following st*, repeat from * to * close with ss.
Round 6 -8: ch2, 1tr into each st until end of round close st with ss.
Handles: *ch2, 1 tr into the following 8st. Turn work, ch2, 1 tr in each of the 8 st that were just created*, end off. Determine the position of the other handle directly opposite the first handle. Attach the tyarn and crochet from *to * the form the second handle. Turn work. Place one bamboo handle into position and use 1dc into each st of the handle to attach the bamboo handle onto the crochet handle. Continue to crochet 1dc into each st around the edge your reach the second handle position and attach the second bamboo handle with 1dc into each st. Continue with 1dc into each st until the beginning of the round.
Optional: Change color, ss into each st of the previous round to create decorative boarder for the shopping bag.

Secure all loose ends to complete the shopping bag.
BushcraftZ 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment