Tuesday 3 March 2015

DIY: My first Annie Sloan Chalk PaintTM project

BushcraftZ 2015
Since I have first read about Annie Sloan Chalk PaintTM I have wanted to try it. The paint seemed like the dream paint for any crafter especially the promise that it sticks not only to wood but also to plastic, stone, brick, concrete and metal and best of all it does not require tedious pre-preparation of surfaces that have previously been painted, waxed or varnished. Despite all the excitement and the countless inspirational photos on the internet it has taken me nearly three years to buy the paint and start a project. Although had I read a lot about how to use the paint online and the friendly assistant at our local agent informed me about the characteristics of the paint and how to use it, I was in for a few surprises. Mainly because I always want to follow my own mind and try to push parameters all the time.

BushcraftZ 2015
The table after stripping off the varnish, before sanding
The project
I had an old pine table that needed a facelift. The varnish was peeling and it had been standing on the veranda in wind and weather for a couple of years. I also knew that I did not want to achieve a shabby chic, distressed look with this table I wanted to use deep strong colours.  My favourites for this table were Emperor’s Silk and Napoleonic blue, finally teh decision fell on the Emperor’s Silk since I liked the combination of this paint with the dark wax.

Preparing the surface of the table
Since the varnish was peeling in several large areas on the table I decided to rather strip off the varnish of the entire table and sand down the surface to ensure that the wood is smooth. I know according to Annie Sloan instructions that this is not strictly necessary, I did not want to take the risk with the peeling varnish.

Preparing the work area before painting
The Annie Sloan Chalk PaintTM paint promises to stick to several types of surfaces and it really does. I learned the hard way that covering the work area well with a drop sheet and old newspaper will save a lot of tedious cleaning up afterwards. Also check the soles of you shoes before walking away from the work area.  Work indoors if you can. Not only can dust stick to wet paint, especially with light colours might ruin the effect, cold wind gusts cause the paint to dry unevenly causing undesired streaking. I also found that applying wax is best done out of the cold wind in a warm room.

The paint
Annie Sloan Chalk PaintTM paint was a lot thicker than I anticipated. I was aware that it is a ‘texture paint’ and that a super smooth finish is not to be expected.  I was however a bit surprised at first by how thick the paint really was and it did feel a bit more ‘grainy’ to me than anticipated. One must not forget that it is chalk paint. It is therefore extremely important to mix the paint thoroughly before starting to paint.  Shake the container well and for the larger paint tins it is useful to stir the paint with a wooden spatula until all the paint is well mixed.


The paint brush
I used a high quality paint brush from a local hardware store. I did find that initially the thick paint clogged the brush quickly. I soon learned not to charge the brush with too much paint to avoid the clogging.  Some people suggest to seal the paint-wet brush in a zip-lock bag during the ‘ between layers  breaks ’ as it saves effort on the cleaning up chore. I found that it is worth my while to wash out the brush well with water and start a new layer of paint with a clean brush. Cleaning the brush is so easy it really only takes a few minutes.

Tools for waxing
For the waxing process I used a soft sponge to apply the wax, an old rag to remove any excess wax and a soft cloth for the final polish. I also used a clean plastic spatula to remove the wax from the original container to keep the wax clean.

Painting the table
Depending on the surface of the object, the base colour and texture it may take a few layers to achieve the desired look. Since I has stripped the varnish of the table and also sanded it down I was working with raw wood. I was planning to paint at least 2-3 layers.

After getting the hang of the texture of the paint the first layer was completed relatively quickly. I did however notice that in most areas at least one more layer of paint would be required.

BushcraftZ 2015
First layer of Emperor's Silk

After the second layer the legs and sides of the table looked good however the table top needed more work. I added another two paint layers to the table top.  
BushcraftZ 2015
Table sides and leggs after two layers of Emperor's Silk

I did allow the paint to dry between each layer. I was surprised that the paint became much lighter and more ‘chalky’ when it had dried completely.  I was disappointed that after the fourth layer of paint on the table top that intense colour I saw and the shop on the sample and on the paint tin was not achieved.  
BushcraftZ 2015
Table drying after 4th layer of paint

Again chatting with the very friendly and helpful local Annie Sloan dealer I was convinced that waxing will bring out the colour more and a richer red will be achieved. She also demonstrated the darker wax and again I was convinced that this was the final look I wanted to achieve.

Waxing the table
Using a soft sponge I waxed the table with Annie SloanTM clear soft wax. The colour immediately intensified but it was still not as intense as what I had hoped for. After allowing the wax to dry I added a Annie SloanTM dark soft wax layer with a soft sponge. I started on the legs and sides of the table. The dark wax went on smoothly and I quickly achieved the result I wanted. Important to note was that this was done on a very morning day. The dark wax was smooth and easy to work with and I was very happy with the final effect and that the final colour was what I had hoped for. I was very pleased. 

BushcraftZ 2015
After applying dark wax to the sides and legs of the table

This gave me the inspiration to apply dark wax to the table top which is a much larger work surface. This proved to be a challenge. The while I was working weather turned and the temperature had dropped and a cool wind the area was blowing through the outside area where I was working. As I was applying the wax it immediately hardened on the table surface causing ugly uneven dark streaks. After a huge effort I finally managed to remove most of the dark wax.  I repainted the table top and then applied another layer of clear wax to seal the paint.
I learnt my lesson. Apply the wax under warm conditions, work in a room where the temperature can be controlled and avoid temperature fluctuations. I then also decided to warm the wax slightly before applying it to the table top.  This time the process went much smoother. In some areas I think I still applied too much dark wax. I did manage to wipe most of the dark wax off and the table top looked good. I allowed the dark wax to dry for 24 hours and then applied another layer of clear wax to seal the surface. Retrospectively, perhaps I should have applied the dark wax with a brush instead of a sponge this might have given me more control. 

Two days later I polished the entire table until I was happy with the result.

BushcraftZ
Table after applying the dark wax on the table top for the second time

The lessons learnt
Too many layers of paint can result in a more textured surface. Perhaps the table top would have been smoother with only three layers of paint. The clear wax does bring out the intensity of the colour so I should not panic about the colour before the first layer of clear wax has been applied. This layer of wax also seals the paint. Dark wax should be used carefully as it does highlight the texture in the paint. This can have a beautiful effect if that is what one would like to achieve. Applying it with a brush might work better.

The final product
I am happy with the final result. The overall the final look of the table was not entirely what I had initially imagined for this table. I learnt a lot in the process and I will continue to use Annie Sloan Chalk PaintTM paint. I will also experiment with different techniques.  I have already decided on the next project and I will share the results with you also.


BushcraftZ 2015
Table with the Emporer's Silk and dark wax facelift
Websites that I found useful





No comments:

Post a Comment