Thursday 4 December 2014

DIY: Re-purpose coffee jar into a beautiful hostess gift filled with sweet treats

BushcraftZ 2014
A few weeks ago someone posted a very easy fudge recipe on Facebook. I adjusted this recipe in order to make dairy free fudge. We ate the yummy first batch at a rapid speed and this was my inspiration to make a larger batch for gifts during this festive season.

Beautiful packaging can make a simple gift special. Firstly I individually wrapped the fudge pieces in baking paper. Then I set out to create a beautiful container for the fudge. In may stash of glass jars I found an old coffee jar that I have been saving for a special project. With a little bit of lace, old book pages, cardstock, trinkets and yarn the coffee jar was rapidly re-purposed into a beautiful and festive container for the home-made fudge. I added the recipe in a tag which I ties to the jar. As a special touch I place a hand-made paper flower in the lid of the jar creating a beautiful invitation to the treats inside.

Coconut Fudge recipe
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • ¾ cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut

Boil the coconut milk and sugar for 2 ½ minutes and take off the heat. Add the other ingredients and stir  well to combine. Pour into a greased glass container. Allow to cool and cut into pieces.
Once the fudge has completely cooled I wrapped each piece individually with baking paper before placing them into the decorated jar.

Decorated Jar
  1. Decorate the jar with lace, ribbon, old book paper and cardstock.
    BushcraftZ 2014
  2. Make a paper flower from old book paper.  I separated the plastic stopper from the glass lid inserted the paper flower and assembled the lid again.
    BushcraftZ 2014

    BushcraftZ 2014
  3. Make a tag and write the recipe on the back. Attach to the jar.
    BushcraftZ 2014
    BushcraftZ 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment